Kundalini Yoga’s prime aim is to elevate the yogi’s consciousness; distributing the cosmic life force we all inherently have up the spine to the crown chakra. To do so it combines breathing (Pranayama), yoga postures (Asanas), body locks (Bhandas), chanting (Mantras), hand & finger gestures (Mudras) and meditation to uncoil the Kundalini energy dwelling at the base of the spine.
This energy is dormant in most people and represents our unique creative potential. Naturally the unraveling of this powerhouse of energy means big changes.
When activated or uncoiled this aforementioned energy travels up the spine towards its ultimate destination – the crown chakra. It does not always make it to the top but the distance covered however small results in some sort of positive change, be it a shift in perception, release or stagnant emotion or a change of habit, to name a few.
En route towards the crown the energy moves thru the chakras, (centers of consciousness), as the energy moves thru these ‘gateways’ elements associated with each chakra are heightened. This can feel intense and overwhelming, joyous and exhilarating depending on where one is at.
Raising one’s kundalini is easy, keeping it elevated is the tricky part, and to do this requires discipline, devotion, consistency and patience in your practice of Kundalini Yoga.
There are many merits to practicing Kundalini Yoga, apart from the exhilaration, joy and buzz after a class that many experience, here are a few more:
- has a direct bearing on the glandular system thus enhancing the ability to look and feel great. Yay!
- heightens the senses… So, your ability to taste, smell, feel and see are increased. Apart from the obvious meaning of the senses, this can also mean: your taste in your lifestyle changes; your intuition increases; you may feel more compassionate and giving; and/or develop more awareness of your reality.
- deeply encourages a relationship with Self which in turn helps eliminate habits like smoking or alcohol addiction. The realization that You are more than your neuroses hits home and the crutches that once kept you supposedly ‘happy’ or ‘coping’ are no longer needed.
- helps one overcome negative feelings and encourages a positive attitude towards yourself and others. Your tolerance level for previous irritations increases and your tendancy to overreact decreases. Wahe!
- develops the ability to ‘keep up’ during even through the most challenging kriya, which in turn helps to strengthens your positive mind: the ultimate antidote to dis-ease of any kind.
- Most important of all Kundalini Yoga supports your Divine Purpose in life, that of becoming the best human being you can be. The practice of Kundalini Yoga has the beautiful effect of encouraging you to recognize you are a spiritual being. The ripple effects of this new perception are many! A new found appreciation for the physical body and respect for all things are a couple that spring to mind.
Kundalini Yoga is simply put: the most effective method for achieving alignment with the limitlessness of the Universe. The way to get there? Through your body, mind and spirit.
Kundalini Yoga is not about dropping who you are, or becoming something else. It’s about embracing your Sat Nam, the Truth of Who You Are…and that dear folks is the most beautiful thing that can befall a human being. Kundalini Yoga is the uber must-have accessory for living a happy, heathy and holy existence in our time.
Written by Mahnpahl Kaur
“The kundalini experience does not mean you have gone into a deep breathless trance and are beyond this world. … It integrates you more fully with reality and gives you a broader vision and sensitivity so that you can act more efficiently.” ~ Yogi Bhajan
“Keep up and you will be Kept Up” Yogi Bhajan
For more information on Kundalini classes and workshops click here